Large Generic Control Cavity - router template Set
We have designed all of our control cavity template sets so you can create the cavity, the cover, and the cover recess, and be assured you'll end up with a great result. There is significant variation between guitar makers and the aftermarket covers that are available so if you have an existing cover it pays to check the shape and dimensions as it may not fit our template dimensions.
This large-sized Generic Control cavity router template set has been designed to fit the control cavity covers sold by a major US luthier supply company. It will accommodate lots of gear if you want to include onboard preamps and bateries etc.
Cut from 6mm clear acrylic they are 195mm x 90mm. See the image below.
Please Note: The cover plate template is 0.5mm smaller than the Cover Recess to enable easy fitting and some allowance for the finish. If you want a tighter fit, apply a layer of masking tape to the rim of the template.
Includes 3 pieces:
- Template 1: Cavity Cover Recess Template (to fit cover plate)
- Template 2: Cavity Hole Template (Electronics Cavity) which fits inside the Cover recess template for routing.
- Template 3: Cover Plate Template
All feature crosshairs to enable accurate alignment.
- Locate the position of the cavity on the back of the guitar and fix Template 1 in place with double-sided tape.
- Fit Template 2 into Template 1 and use this to rout the control cavity to desired depth.
- Remove Template 2 and rout a shallow (3-5mm deep) ledge for the cover to sit on.
- Use Template 3 to make a cover to fit the cavity.
Individual replacement items are available in the event your router runs amok!! Please email us.
For a print version of our cavity routes and templates click the PDF icon above or click here
Ordering a template? Here are two short videos that will help when you receive the templates.
How to remove the paper protection layer from your template
Which way is the right way to use your template
Some Team Favourites